Saturday, March 5, 2011

2011 snowshoe outings with CherriesWalks

Ok, so the other day I didn't manage to finish gloating about all the awesome, fabulous, fun, delightful, powder, wild, backcountry, epic, fantastic, géniale, new, favorite, etc.. places I have been this year. I'm going to try and do it all justice by posting a photo from every outing so far, regardless of dates for once. I hope you enjoy the quick tour and I hope you are having a super duper winter too!
Here goes:
I had the pleasure of taking out some friends who were stranded here from Boston where it was 'DUMPIIIIIIING DUDE' and learned that it is the law there to clear the snow from the sidewalk infront of your house! We went to a wild forest above Martigny.
This is the view from the top of the Dents de Morcles! It was a ski tour, and I am just posting the photo because I have tried to hike up there three times in the summer and have never made it. It just proves that some things are best attained by different means. And in no way would I ever consider snowshoeing up there or perhaps trying to hike up there for a 4th time!!
Vichères is a magical spot and needs to be taken slowly and happily. We got to a perfect summit and had a yummy picnic before descending in the forest! Awesome!
A beautiful sunset from the Cabanes des Vignettes. This is a cabane on the famous Haute Route Tour that goes from Chamonix through Verbier and ends in Zermatt. Everyone should see a sunset from a cabane in their lives.
A super happy day guiding the TSR/RSR (swiss radio-tv) group in Les Diablerets. There is snow, to their amazement. Yes, we have had 60% less precipitation in the Swiss Alps this month of February!
A ski tour in the wonderful valley of La Fouly. Sun, sun, sun! Will it snow again???
I am sure that the Norwegian Spruces having soooo many pine cones means something....
The female seed of the alder - a tree that can lie horizontally under the snow all winter and pop up vertically once the snow has melted! Nature is cool!

Ok...I am going to stop now, and give you a day to go out and play before continuing! Happy snowshoeing!